Thursday, May 13, 2010

ShooFly Pie

I'm a HUGE believer in all-natural food. I like to keep the sugar to a minimum and avoid high fructose corn syrup. The recipe I'm about to share does not reflect this stance. I'm sorry. But it's so good. I very rarely make it, and when I do, I take it somewhere to pawn off on share with others. I'll be baking pies on Friday for a school fundraiser, (a food stand at a public auction) and this sweet treat always disappears quickly. So here it is...a Pennsylvania Dutch Favorite...

ShooFly Pie
makes 2 8-inch pies

2 cups flour
1 1/2 cups brown sugar
4 tablespoons shortening

Mix above ingredients together. (It will have the consistency of crumbs.) Take out 2 cups and reserve for top of pies.

To remaining crumb mixture add:
2 beaten eggs
1 1/2 cups King syrup 1/2 cup dark baking molasses
1 1/2 cups hot water

Mix.

Dissolve 2 teaspoons baking soda in an additional 1/2 cup hot water. Add this to liquid mixture.

Pour liquid mixture into 2 8-inch unbaked pie shells. Sprinkle reserved crumbs on top, 1 cup per pie. Bake at 450 degrees for 10 minutes and then 375 degrees for 35 minutes or until knife comes out dry.


{Don't judge me for sharing this recipe...don't hate me when you love it.}




linking to:
Harrigan Howdy's Thursday Recipe Share

4 comments:

Iron Girl!! said...

I have been wanting to try my hand at ShooFly Pie for some time now. I'm glad to have a tried and true recipe!

Suzanne@Meridian Road said...

No judgment! I'm going to try it, too. :)

Amy said...

we all need recipes like this, lets keep it real right?? No judgement here at all!!:)
Do you think I could use butter instead of shortening? Or coconut oil? I'm too cheap to go buy shortening..

Is the filling kinda like pecan pie filling minus the pecans?? What is King syrup? (guess I could google that:))
It looks super yummy!!

Sarah @HarriganHowdy said...

Shoo Fly Pie!! I love the name. :) It sounds yummy. Thank you for sharing your recipe at the Recipe Share Party.

Blessings!
-Sarah

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails