Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Homemade Chocolate Syrup


Tootsie loves chocolate milk. When I really started reading labels, however, we stopped buying that popular bottled chocolate syrup. Go ahead. Check the label. I thought I was doing a good job of avoiding high fructose corn syrup, and instead, I was mixing it in my children's milk for a special treat. Great job.

Anyway, I set out on a search for a "healthier" chocolate syrup. Believe it or not, I found one. We love it! It's great for chocolate milk and as an ice cream topping. It's so much better than the bottled kind. Best of all...no HFCS! I used organic evaporated cane juice, but sucanat would be even healthier as it is processed even less.

*Revised 5/19/11~ Since posting this recipe, we've eliminated sugar as much as possible from our diets. When we do use a sweetener, it's raw honey. I'm happy to say this recipe works well with honey...and you don't need as much as you think you do :)

1/2 cup Cocoa Powder
1 cup evaporated cane juice or sucanat (or 1/2 cup raw honey)
1 cup water
1 teaspoon vanilla
dash of salt

Combine cocoa, sweetener of choice, and salt in a saucepan. Add water, and mix until smooth. Bring mixture to a boil. Allow it to boil for 1 minute. (Do not over boil.) Remove from heat. Stir in the vanilla. Cool and pour in mason jars. Store in refrigerator for up to a month. Makes about 1 pint.


Linking with 

5 comments:

Unknown said...

AHHHHHHHHHHHH i haven't even thought to check the chocolate bottle!!!!!! thanks for the recipe!!

Anestazia said...

Hey there! Just wanted to let you know that this project was being featured at Eccentric Delirium! It's not up yet, I have it scheduled to post in the morning, but I wanted to make sure I didn't forget to let you know! If you'd like a button, head on over for the code! :)

http://yourworkistodiscoveryourworld.blogspot.com/

Amy said...

You got most clicked on again! Love that you keep linking up my friend:) My readers love your links!!

Anonymous said...

I made this recipe this morning and it was a hit! I used it to make vegan hot chocolate for my kiddos and they LOVED it :-) Thank you for a simple, yummy recipe!

Marie @ Chocolate-Covered Chaos said...

I'm so glad you liked it! Thanks for letting me know!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails