Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Pillow Talk


I've been kinda busy.
Honestly, I don't know how some of you ladies do it! When we're not schooling, we're trying to clean up the house, run errands, go to piano lessons, soccer practice, gym class...
If I actually get a chance to sit down and blog, I find myself without words. {or energy} 
My project list is ridiculous. 
And growing.
My purpose for sharing this is not to complain, but to explain how excited I am about getting something done! Even something small. 
Like pillows.
We bought a couch, chair, and ottoman on Craig's List a few months ago. It was only a week old. The man bought it and wasn't happy with how the color looked in his house. {read bachelor pad} For a couple hundred dollars, we got brand new furniture for our living room.  I don't even mind the color. It's a light sea foam color. {and pretty comfortable}
Anyway, the pillows that came with it are a little too geometric and manly for me. 

I've been wanting to sew some pillow covers to soften the look.
Simple project, I know...but woo hoo! I finally got it done!
You can find some helpful information on covering pillows here.
I just kept mine very basic with an envelope style back so I can remove them for washing.  


See? My man-pillow is in there.

I also had an unused pillow form that I wanted to cover. I just used muslin for the main fabric. I cut 4 long strips of coordinating fabric (french script) 2" wide each, zigzagged the edges, and sewed down the center of each to ruffle them. Then, I attached the ruffles to the right and left side of the pillow front.


I printed out an "M" in a font I liked, cut it out, and traced it onto my pillow front. I just used my trusty black acrylic paint to fill it in. 
I kinda like it:) 


Our last name does start with "M"...but I think I'll call this the "Marie" pillow. 
Tootsie doesn't mind. 
And boys don't appreciate ruffles.


4 comments:

Suzanne@Meridian Road said...

Your pillows look great! I love the ruffles, personally. But I'm not a boy.
That furniture was a steal!

Marianne said...

I love it. The color of the furniture, the pillows and your curtains. We have quite similar style. I think I need to make some nice pillowcovers too, but first I need to finish all those other projects that has gotten on the backburner.

Robin Johnson said...

Your pillow are so cute. Love the ruffled "M" one the best.

Iron Girl!! said...

Oh, they're lovely Marie! Love the fabrics you chose. The color of your furniture is perfect!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails