Wednesday, March 23, 2011

The dreaded stairwell-painting project

This is how the corner of my living room has looked for about a year now...


I'm ashamed to say that I didn't really even see it anymore.
I was procrastinating. 
Big time.


I wasn't sure how I was going to reach those corners!
It's not just two stories...it's two stories with stairs, so a ladder is tricky.


For anyone who doesn't know...I have a perfectionism issue. 
I tend to stress about details. 
I can be an all or nothin' kind of person. 
I'm finally realizing that it separates me from so many wonderful things. 
I'll never achieve perfection...in myself, my children, or my house. 
My wise and wonderful friend, Heather, reminds me that sometimes OK is best.
So, with paintbrush in hand and Nester's words repeating in my head...
{it doesn't have to be perfect to be beautiful. it doesn't have to be perfect to be beautiful...} 
I tackled my stairwell.


 Normally, I paint the corners and edges with a brush.
But normally, I can reach those corners.
My hi-tech solution to this problem?


 Duct tape. Paintbrush. Extension poll.
They got along quite nicely.



I used an edger for the top...also attached to an extension poll. {but not with duct tape:)}
It worked well, for the most part. 
Except for when it didn't.
This corner mocked me for a while, but I kept going.


For touch ups, I introduced my duct tape to a smaller brush.


Controlling a tiny brush on the end of a very long poll above my head was not the easiest or most graceful thing I've done this week. 
I would get the ceiling paint touched up only to slip a little and mess up the wall. 
Rinse. Repeat.


It's not perfect. 
But it's OK.
And honestly...
Perfection does not exist this side of Heaven, so why would I expect it on my walls?



Stairway project: Complete :)


Linking to:

5 comments:

Jill said...

Looks great! Now that you are all warmed up, my walls could use a new color!

~Kristin~ said...

You are SOOO industrious! Good job!

Suzanne@Meridian Road said...

You did a great job! I can't even imagine trying to control paint from that pole, but it really does look good.

Heather said...

WooHoo! It looks fabulous!!! DUCT TAPE....love it! Way to go with taming your little perfectionist self.;)
love ya!

Marianne said...

Awesome job. It is amazing how after a while you just don't see the things that should be taken care of. I have several little places that needs to be touched up, maybe I should put that on next weeks to do list.
I have a two story wall in my living room and up my stairs. That is a paint job I will never take and thank goodness I can live with that color. I've got plenty other paintjobs to get done though.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails