Sunday, January 2, 2011

Hummus

Well, Thanksgiving has come and gone and was quickly chased by Christmas and New Year's. It was a blast. I'm exhausted. And I'm convinced, now more than ever, that we need to make more of an effort in our healthy eating goals. With the fresh new year seems to be new determination and motivation. So, we're getting ready to start an eating plan developed by Doug Kaufmann, author of The Fungus Link. I'll share more about this as we go, but for now, I'll just share how amazing it has been for my friend, who was diagnosed with cancer. She's had eight chemo treatments, and has felt great the whole time! The doctors and nurses can't explain it, but tell her to just keep "doing whatever she's doing". She spends an entire morning at treatment and then comes home and cleans her house! She says it's absolutely because her diet is giving her what she needs...it feeds her body and starves the cancer. And I'm a believer. She looks amazing!

I want to look at food as our medicine, rather than a craving killer. So, goodbye sugar (at least for a while), white potatoes, and pasta. We'll be focusing on fresh fruits and veggies with our lean protein. Yes, I know we should already be doing this, but you must understand how much of a meat and potatoes girl I am :)

Something I have grown to enjoy (which I used to wrinkle up my nose at) is hummus. This recipe is from a virgin coconut oil book I got from Tropical Traditions. If you've never checked them out, I highly recommend doing so! (That company and its products deserve an entirely different post all their own.) What I love about this hummus is the cumin and cayenne pepper...just enough to give it an interesting kick. It does make a lot, so if you won't have much help in eating it, you might want to cut the recipe in half or freeze some. I just make the entire recipe and then freeze small portions to enjoy later. Dried chickpeas are both healthier and cheaper than canned, so I think it's worth the effort.

Hummus

1 pound chickpeas, cooked
8 oz tahini paste
2 teaspoons chopped garlic
1/2 teaspoon cumin
4 oz lemon juice
1 teaspoon salt
cayenne pepper, to taste
2 ounces virgin coconut oil (more or less)
2 teaspoons fresh parsley, chopped

Combine the chickpeas, tahini, garlic, cumin, lemon juice, salt and cayenne in a food processor. Process until smooth. Add coconut oil until desired consistency. (I warm my oil to liquefy it before adding to the mix.) Garnish with parsley.

Susan at Busy 'Lil Homemaker is also traveling down a healthier food road. She's sharing some recipes and looking for more! Hop on over to get some ideas and inspiration and share your favorites as well! Let's stick together on this!

1 comment:

Iron Girl!! said...

Thank you for linking up your hummus recipe to my post about healthier recipes Marie! I can't wait to try it! And thank you for the note at the end of your post - I'm very excited about new and delicious recipes. :)

Here's to a Happy and Blessed New Year eating well and feeling better! :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails