Monday, August 9, 2010

Three Years Ago...


It's hard to believe that I'm writing this post already. Three years ago, today, our lives changed with the birth of our beautiful baby girl! She was baby #3 and very determined to do things her way and have her own story to tell...

It was Thursday, August 9, 2007. I was exactly one week past my due date, and it became apparent that this little babe did not intend to come out on her own. We had an appointment scheduled at the hospital at 8:00 a.m. to be induced, so we dropped the boys off with my parents, and Hubby and I set out on our mission. After an exam at the hospital, the midwife informed me that I was 4 centimeters dilated, 90% effaced, and at a 0 station. With cervical gel to get things moving, and a suggestion from the midwife to "not go too far away", we decided to grab some lunch and run some errands, rather than take the 45 minute drive home.

Contractions started at 11:00 a.m. and were about 10 minutes apart, so we headed to the mall to walk around and try to keep things moving forward. While there, the power went out! Shops were half open, half closed, and everyone was confused. I just remember walking and breathing:)

When contractions sped up to every 7 minutes, we got excited and were ready to return to the hospital. Then all of a sudden, they dropped off to every 12 to 15 minutes. This torture continued. All. Day. Long.

At 4:00 p.m. contractions were getting intense, although still irregular. We decided we'd rather not meet our little one in the mall...or the car...so we headed back to the hospital to check on things. 5 centimeters. I was admitted and very relieved to finally be getting somewhere. Unfortunately, the midwife was leaving her shift and was replaced with the one doctor I was praying I wouldn't end up having. She was arrogant and cold with absolutely no bedside manner. Still, I had done this twice before, and I knew I could lean on Hubby and my soft-spoken nurse, Betsy.

At 9:50 p.m. I was at 8 centimeters. The doctor left the room (I think for a latte and a manicure), and all of a sudden, the contractions were violent, non-stop and I needed to push!  I nearly ripped Hubby's arm off as I told him that the baby was coming now, and I couldn't stop her! I gently told Hubby that it was time to meet our newest angel. My soft-spoken nurse, Betsy, assumed catcher stance just in time and yelled, "I need help in here, NOW!" Staff came running in, and my doctor decided to show up for the finale.











 It took only 1 1/2 pushes to get our Tootsie out...and I'm not sure they were voluntary. When she decides to do something...she does it. And she's been doing it ever since.

She's spunky and sweet. Careful and daring. Sensitive and tough. She's sunshine in our day and makes us all laugh. She's a champion wrestler and a champion snuggler. She's our Pooky Bear. Our Tootsie. And we love her to pieces!

Happy Birthday, Tootsie!


3 comments:

Suzanne@Meridian Road said...

She's a doll! I love that picture of her when she sees the chair you re-covered for her. I think she likes it!

Driftwood Girl @ Beauty and Inspiration said...

Aw, what a beautiful little girl you have there! It does seem like the years just fly by sometimes, doesn't it? Happy Birthday to your sweet little one! I agree, her look after opening her fabulous chair is priceless!

Marie @ Chocolate-Covered Chaos said...

Thanks, Driftwood Girl! I was telling Suzanne...the chair is being carried from room to room so Tootsie can sit in it constantly. I'm so thrilled she loves it! I can't believe I don't have a two-year-old anymore! (sniff, sniff)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails