Wednesday, January 12, 2011

The Velveteen Monkey


This is the cherished friend of my little girl.
The summer that Tootsie turned one,
I took her and the boys to a yard sale in our neighborhood. 
I found fabric, interesting buckets, scrapbooking gadgets, and other goodies.
Tootsie found a stuffed monkey.
It was love at first sight.
I was prepared to walk away.
Dutch was not.
He used his own money to buy the treasure that Tootsie so lovingly squeezed in her arms.
She named him Monkey.
He hasn't left her side since that day.


He plays with her.
He sleeps with her.
He rides in the car with her.
She loves him so much.
I find myself thinking of The Velveteen Rabbit.
And that makes me smile.


1 comment:

Suzanne@Meridian Road said...

That's so sweet that he bought it with his own money!
My youngest carried a Woody doll with him everywhere, until the arms fell off.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails