Friday, August 27, 2010

Strawberry Butterdream Cake



This post is long overdue. I've been wanting to share the recipe for Tootsie's birthday cake...before I forget what I did. She requested a "strawberry cake" this year, which actually just means that some component should be strawberry, more importantly, pink. Remembering Costco's yummy "cheesecake-filled" cake, I threw some recipe ideas together and came up with this. Next time, maybe I'll make a cake from scratch, but I was short on time, and the box-kind worked well enough. I got the idea for the strawberry buttercream icing here. (except, no margarine for us...butter all the way.) I found the cream cheese filling recipe here. The verdict? We all thought it was much better than Costco's (and a lot cheaper:) I'm sharing here for anyone who's interested. But mostly, I want to have this recorded so I can make it again!

~Prepare a white boxed cake recipe in two 9-inch round pans, according to package directions. Remove from pans and cool completely.

~Spread filling on top of one cake. (You can save/freeze some filling for another time, if desired. It depends on how much filling you want in your cake.)

Filling

3/4 pound powdered sugar
1 pound cream cheese
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1 teaspoon vanilla
3 sticks butter

Beat with an electric mixer until fluffy.

~Carefully, place second cake layer on top of filling and cover the whole thing with dreamy frosting. (Yes...dreamy)

Strawberry Butterdream Frosting

4 sticks butter (don't judge...it is buttercream.)
2 lbs plus 2 cups powdered sugar
2 Tablespoons milk
1/2 cup strawberry jam (preferably homemade:)
pinch salt

With an electric mixer, beat butter, sugar and milk- alternating so you don't have a white mess everywhere. Add jam and a pinch of salt. Mix until you can't wait any longer to try it:) {I also tinted some of the frosting green...because Tootsie can't have pink without green}

So. Delicious.



Sharing at:

7 comments:

Suzanne@Meridian Road said...

That last picture is so cute! Such a happy little girl behind such a big cake!

This sounds really good~I'm saving this recipe for the next birthday we have here.

Melinda said...

Little Tootsie is such a sweetie! I love the butter dream frosting with strawberry jam! Yum!

Jill said...

Yum! I think I gained a pound or two just looking at that cake!

Marie @ Chocolate-Covered Chaos said...

Melinda~ Thanks! She's our pumpkin:) The strawberry jam has been a wonderful addition lately. Yesterday, we make milkshakes with vanilla ice cream, milk, and strawberry jam in the blender. Best strawberry shake...ever.

Marie @ Chocolate-Covered Chaos said...

Jill~ Well, I know I gained a couple by EATING it! (So worth it, I'm afraid:)

Carol said...

Ooo! That cake looks good! And who's judging? I live in the south, where butter is it's own food group!!

Marie @ Chocolate-Covered Chaos said...

Carol~ Aha! I keep telling my hubby that I'd fit in down there:)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails